Thursday, June 5, 2008

Setting up a blog

I just made my own blog. (This could be a moot point, considering that the theme of this blog is "leaving the grid" and picking tomatoes, not blogging. Basically--I might not have internet access.) With any luck, I will add a note or two over the next month during my stay at Footjoy Farm in Sparta, WI.  I will be living in a converted granery, using an outdoor shower and eating food that is grown in my yard.  (I'm hoping to cuddle with a goat or two. And eat lots of sugar snap peas.) 

For several years I have had a growing interest in organic farming--learning specific skills and experiencing a little taste of life on a polyculture farm--that specifically tries to harness natural systems towards food production and maintains a diversity of animal and plant life.  I suppose that Michael Pollan and Wendell Berry have been most formative to my ideas around this, but I know very little and have had few farming experiences.  It is time to stop reading about organic farming and start to learn by doing.

Although a month is a relatively short time, I have several goals for this little experiment:

-participate in challenging physical work outside
-learn specific, concrete skills
-have conversations about farming philosophies and principles (topics include--cooperative farming, pros and cons of agricultural subsidies, how to manage systems in a farm), basically pick the brains of people who have learned through experience
-get used to solitude, after living such a rushed, hectic urban lifestyle
-observe rural living in America
(I might not get around to achieving these goals, too busy mulching and watering veggies, but that is alright too.)

So, here is my blog. 

No comments: