Well, I've been at the farm 5? 6? days now and it has been packed with lots of trellising peas, harvesting radishes, planting basil, riding the little Haromoto tractor. Good times...although I am really sore and dependent on daily yoga in order to even walk the next day.
I've realized that small-scale polyculture is an art, not a science. I've needed to learn to be okay with my nearly-constant mistakes and learn that it is not a predictable, formulaic process. There is no "right way" to do it, but plenty of "wrong ways." I've needed to let go of the details and the "am I doing it right?" mentality and let myself discover my own system for sowing or weeding or planting.
While commodities farming (industrial corn or soy production) is very scientific and predictable (input fertilizer and pesticides, output corn), the small organic agriculturalist needs creativity, flexibility and a willingness to adapt to a million different variables (rain, weeds, harsh sunlight, wind, critters). Chad puts seed in the ground and hopes for the best. The growth of his crop is influenced by the whims of Mother Nature, who fickle and unpredictable, generous and giving at one moment, cruel at the next. Relying upon her is a risky undertaking, but thrilling and gutsy and the way that humans have lived for thousands of years.
Just a few thoughts from a beginner...
Anyway, the last few days I have been hoeing and weeding a field of beets that has been overrun by last years ground cherries crop, coming back to haunt us. Picking through a forest of weeds and ground cherries, row by row, has been very time consuming. Weeding for hours puts you into a meditative, zen-like state of concentration. But, those beets better be darn good after all that they have required. :) Two days of hoeing. Two more to come?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment